Alexis D'Tocqueville

Alexis D'Tocqueville
Observer of America

Monday, April 21, 2008

On Economics

When I first began to consider politics and how politics in action is related to and affects liberty , I had never before considered the third piece of the politics-liberty puzzle: economics.

As I began to search the web for information about politics and liberty , I came across libertarianism , or classical liberalism. The more that I studied libertarianism , the ideas of voluntary exchange and maximum personal liberty , the more that it became clear to me that economics plays a central role in consideration of the other matters. They are all intertwined. For most of you this might not be a new revelation. But to me , at that time , it was.

Among the places that I landed in my searchings for subjects about politics and liberty was the Cato Institute. After reading a bit on that site , I enrolled in the Cato University; shortly thereafter , I received study materials. Among readings on liberty and libertarianism was included a book on economics. That book was Economics in One Lesson by Henry Hazlitt.

I have linked to it here at the Foundation for Economic Education website :

Economics in One Lesson

While it is available for purchase at F.E.E. , you can read the entire book at the website for free. I receive nothing from it if you should choose to purchase the book , as I am in no way affiliated with F.E.E. I have provided the link merely because I feel that it is important information for all to consider within the realm of politics , liberty , and economics. This is true of all other books that I will link to for your enjoyment at the F.E.E. site.

For those who would rather hear an audio-book reading of Economics in One Lesson it is presented in two parts.

You can listen here :

Part One

Part Two

No comments: